Thursday, July 30, 2009

The U.S. Government

Since grade school, I have read and learned about democracy and how it serves as the foundation of our nation. I read about the structure of our government and how power is fairly distributed in such an ingenious way that prevents any kind of tyranny. I am grateful to live in a country where I do not have to worry about oppressive rule or my basic liberties being threatened. The government has also taken measures to go beyond just protecting my freedoms and helping me fulfill my life goals. Without the financial aid I receive from the federal government, attending college would be that much more difficult and thus obtaining the job of my dreams would be daunting to say the least. So what is there to complain about when there are other nations out there whose citizens suffer impoverished conditions with no aid from the government and cannot afford food, let alone education? Yet, after learning and revering the concept of democracy, I still feel like something is lacking with our government. Were it not for the promises of democracy that I have been taught, then I would not feel this paucity, but the fact that I know what democracy is suppose to provide brings to light a discrepancy between what is promised to me and what is actually delivered.

One of our essay questions on our most recent exam asked whether it was possible for a legislator to represent citizens who do not match the legislator’s sociodemographics. After some thought, I knew the question of possibility was easily answered. Of course it is possible for a legislator to adequately represent citizens of a different demographic, as long as they feel compelled to be the voice of that demographic and will solely focus their efforts with that demographic's best interests in mind. However, I felt the greater question was whether or not enough members of Congress actually felt this obligation to sufficiently represent their constituents. I feel the answer is no. Unless the legislator is a robot, it is human nature for he or she to look out for his or herself before the constituents, and since the sociodemographic of Congress drastically deviates from the general public, there will be a conflict of interests. Who determines the victor of this conflict? The congressman, and he will decide in his favor. I am not saying I would rather a member of the general public to represent us; I would obviously prefer a more educated individual making decisions that would affect my daily life. However, to be able to find an intellectually sound representative who is completely selfless and can identify and empathize entirely with his consituents is a near impossible task. A person with such qualities would almost cease to be human.

I do not blame the government for this disparity; it is an issue that may very well have no perfect solution. We just have to trust that in the big picture, the representatives we choose will live up to our expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment